←  General Discussions

rM Community

»

An Overwatch Mapping Contest?

The Joker's Photo The Joker 23 Jun 2011

Why don't we have another mapping competition? It could be fun. Not for money or for reward, but for elite status. To be pronounced a winner of something. Could be fun, ey? Practice your Source SDK skills as well? I mean there isn't anything wrong with that. Get some publicity, some more maps in progress. Could be cool.

People Interested:

- The Joker

- rickinator9

People Participating:

- None

People Against It:

- None
Quote

rickinator9's Photo rickinator9 23 Jun 2011

View PostThe Joker, on 23 June 2011 - 01:13 AM, said:

Why don't we have another mapping competition? It could be fun. Not for money or for reward, but for elite status. To be pronounced a winner of something. Could be fun, ey? Practice your Source SDK skills as well? I mean there isn't anything wrong with that. Get some publicity, some more maps in progress. Could be cool.

People Interested:

- The Joker

People Participating:

- None

People Against It:

- None

I would participate. Would you?
Quote

The Joker's Photo The Joker 23 Jun 2011

View Postrickinator9, on 23 June 2011 - 08:50 AM, said:

I would participate. Would you?

Perhaps. I was thinking I could be one of the judges though. I don't know, we'll have to see what other people would say.
Quote

AndY's Photo AndY 23 Jun 2011

Honestly, I'd rather the participants from the previous contest actually complete the maps they submitted so that we can release them in the public version and not have to keep them hidden in the dev build...
Quote

rickinator9's Photo rickinator9 23 Jun 2011

View PostAndY, on 23 June 2011 - 11:25 AM, said:

Honestly, I'd rather the participants from the previous contest actually complete the maps they submitted so that we can release them in the public version and not have to keep them hidden in the dev build...

Well, you are lacking maps and mappers...
And I think that traverse is pretty much complete
Quote

The Joker's Photo The Joker 23 Jun 2011

View PostAndY, on 23 June 2011 - 11:25 AM, said:

Honestly, I'd rather the participants from the previous contest actually complete the maps they submitted so that we can release them in the public version and not have to keep them hidden in the dev build...


Perhaps.

Quote

AndY's Photo AndY 23 Jun 2011

View Postrickinator9, on 23 June 2011 - 11:31 AM, said:

Well, you are lacking maps and mappers...
And I think that traverse is pretty much complete
Mappers, yes; maps, no. If all 8 contest maps were completed, those + the 4 official levels would be a pretty decent number to package in a release.

Sam still had a few items on his todo list for Traverse, but he's vanished as well.

We don't need all 8 to be done, but at least half would be nice. Joker's map would be a nice addition if he were to complete it, for example.


Edit: I forgot the 2 other maps you and Copper are working on. That would make a total of 14 levels.
Quote

The Joker's Photo The Joker 24 Jun 2011

View PostAndY, on 23 June 2011 - 03:13 PM, said:

Mappers, yes; maps, no. If all 8 contest maps were completed, those + the 4 official levels would be a pretty decent number to package in a release.

Sam still had a few items on his todo list for Traverse, but he's vanished as well.

We don't need all 8 to be done, but at least half would be nice. Joker's map would be a nice addition if he were to complete it, for example.


Edit: I forgot the 2 other maps you and Copper are working on. That would make a total of 14 levels.

Hell, I could complete it. Fuck, I might just do that. Apart from working full-time and or plus 8 hours on my mod daily, I need something else to keep my Source SDK skills up. Hmmm.
Quote

warbrand2's Photo warbrand2 24 Jun 2011

I am against this as the game needs what it has done. Adding maps will just put more strain on things. The devs would have to wait for the mappers and you know how that's going now.
Quote

Coppermantis's Photo Coppermantis 24 Jun 2011

Superfortress is nearing completion, I can even do a full compile now without my computer combusting, It'll probably be ready for going into dev.
Quote

rickinator9's Photo rickinator9 24 Jun 2011

I probs wouldn't enter with escape though
Quote

ScrooLewse's Photo ScrooLewse 25 Jun 2011

Personally, I am wholly against this until 1.4.0 comes out. After the update, then sure. Hell, I might even submit an entry. (That is, if I can make one...)
Quote

rickinator9's Photo rickinator9 25 Jun 2011

View PostScrooLewse, on 25 June 2011 - 01:27 PM, said:

Personally, I am wholly against this until 1.4.0 comes out. After the update, then sure. Hell, I might even submit an entry. (That is, if I can make one...)

Don't be a pessimist. You can do it!
Quote

Quenquent's Photo Quenquent 28 Jun 2011

A map contest.....why not, but I think we must wait the Overwatch update.

View PostAndY, on 23 June 2011 - 03:13 PM, said:

Edit: I forgot the 2 other maps you and Copper are working on. That would make a total of 14 levels.

14 ? I thought more..... I think you forget owc_airship which is done and I'm waiting the testing.
Quote

rickinator9's Photo rickinator9 28 Jun 2011

View PostQuenquent, on 28 June 2011 - 05:50 AM, said:

A map contest.....why not, but I think we must wait the Overwatch update.



14 ? I thought more..... I think you forget owc_airship which is done and I'm waiting the testing.

Why doesn't he add our levels to the dev?
Quote