Level Design Contest: Nominations!
AndY
19 Dec 2010
Greetings!
Overwatch's level design contest ended a week ago, with eight (8) community members submitting their maps. Following a few preparations, we are nearly ready to begin the voting process!
We are looking for your help to nominate the best maps out of the pack. Interested? Then read on!
Three groups will be taking part in the voting process: the Developers, our Guest Judges and the Community, with each of their votes counting for 1/3rd of the final score.
Levels will be rated according to the following:
Those participating in the voting process will be given access to private servers hosting all submitted levels, and the ZIP file containing all the assets they need to download. They will be able to join servers at will, but we will also schedule a few events to play the levels with a large number of players.
To take part, you must:
Note: Those who have submitted maps for the contest may not participate in the voting process.
Finally, the Poll will close in a few days and voting should begin before the end of the week. Since Christmas is this coming weekend, we'll keep the voting form open long enough to get everyone's vote. The plan is to announce the winners before the end of the year.
Good luck to all!
Overwatch's level design contest ended a week ago, with eight (8) community members submitting their maps. Following a few preparations, we are nearly ready to begin the voting process!
We are looking for your help to nominate the best maps out of the pack. Interested? Then read on!
Three groups will be taking part in the voting process: the Developers, our Guest Judges and the Community, with each of their votes counting for 1/3rd of the final score.
Levels will be rated according to the following:
Quote
- Fun Factor (35%): Wild? Enjoyable? Still fun to play after several rounds? Exciting for both sides?
- Strategy (20%): Does the Overwatch (GM) have different options (not limited to just a few spawns and traps)? Does the Resistance have a better chance of winning if they play cooperatively (as opposed to splitting up and running around the map)?
- Balance (10%): Is it fair? Do both sides have an equal chance of winning?
- Layout (20%): Easy to navigate and reach objectives? Clear and unobstructed view of the level for the GM?
- Aesthetics (15%): Is it visually appealing?
- BONUS (15%): Does it offer anything new (i.e. new game mode, new traps)?
Those participating in the voting process will be given access to private servers hosting all submitted levels, and the ZIP file containing all the assets they need to download. They will be able to join servers at will, but we will also schedule a few events to play the levels with a large number of players.
To take part, you must:
- Be a registered member of these forums
- Vote "Yes" in the Poll above
- Be in the Live Chat room (using the link at the top of this page) as often as possible
- Play all eight (8) submitted levels
- Rate every level according to the scheme posted above (we'll have a form for that)
- Write a short comment about your experience playing each of the levels, including some feedback on how the level could be improved (in the same form)
Note: Those who have submitted maps for the contest may not participate in the voting process.
Finally, the Poll will close in a few days and voting should begin before the end of the week. Since Christmas is this coming weekend, we'll keep the voting form open long enough to get everyone's vote. The plan is to announce the winners before the end of the year.
Good luck to all!
Quenquent
19 Dec 2010
Ready for testing !
Where we can see the list of maps in the contest please ?
Where we can see the list of maps in the contest please ?
AndY
19 Dec 2010
Quenquent, on 19 December 2010 - 04:53 PM, said:
Ready for testing !
Where we can see the list of maps in the contest please ?
Where we can see the list of maps in the contest please ?
Gabe(HUN)
20 Dec 2010
I am ready for that challenge...
BUT:
-when do you playing with these maps?
-where can I download the maps?
-How many people can join in the server? the regular 8 or more than 8?
BUT:
-when do you playing with these maps?
-where can I download the maps?
-How many people can join in the server? the regular 8 or more than 8?
The Joker
20 Dec 2010
Gabe(HUN), on 20 December 2010 - 04:09 AM, said:
I am ready for that challenge...
BUT:
-when do you playing with these maps?
-where can I download the maps?
-How many people can join in the server? the regular 8 or more than 8?
BUT:
-when do you playing with these maps?
-where can I download the maps?
-How many people can join in the server? the regular 8 or more than 8?
- If your asking when you can play the maps, I believe the devs will let you know.
- They'll most likely let you know as well
- Overwatch would be unbalanced with more than 8 players, its 1 GM and 7 Rebels.
ScrooLewse
21 Dec 2010
The Joker, on 20 December 2010 - 02:10 PM, said:
- If your asking when you can play the maps, I believe the devs will let you know.
- They'll most likely let you know as well
- Overwatch would be unbalanced with more than 8 players, its 1 GM and 7 Rebels.
- They'll most likely let you know as well
- Overwatch would be unbalanced with more than 8 players, its 1 GM and 7 Rebels.
When, precisely, shall be given our answers?
Right now I could give you a very fair and balanced rating of Outbreak and a so-so rating of Acropolis. (I've walked around it long enough to say it looks really cool, but never played it with people.) But I've never even seen the other maps.
---
Will the winning maps be put into the Official roster?
The Joker
21 Dec 2010
ScrooLewse, on 21 December 2010 - 07:27 PM, said:
When, precisely, shall be given our answers?
Right now I could give you a very fair and balanced rating of Outbreak and a so-so rating of Acropolis. (I've walked around it long enough to say it looks really cool, but never played it with people.) But I've never even seen the other maps.
---
Will the winning maps be put into the Official roster?
Right now I could give you a very fair and balanced rating of Outbreak and a so-so rating of Acropolis. (I've walked around it long enough to say it looks really cool, but never played it with people.) But I've never even seen the other maps.
---
Will the winning maps be put into the Official roster?
No, the winning maps will be added after the voting is over.
AndY
21 Dec 2010
Soon, that's all I can say for now. We just want to make sure that all the maps can actually be played relatively issue-free (there wouldn't be much point if the servers kept crashing every few minutes or if a round could never be won).
I'll post here as soon as we're ready!
I'll post here as soon as we're ready!
Gabe(HUN)
22 Dec 2010
ohh...I'm afraid, that I missed the playtest..
and by the way, I've got the Outbreak, Jailbreak and the Acropolis maps...but I don't know these are the latest versions...
Should I delete these maps?
and by the way, I've got the Outbreak, Jailbreak and the Acropolis maps...but I don't know these are the latest versions...
Should I delete these maps?
Raphi123
22 Dec 2010
Will we dl the map from the server or will you give us a link?
Also, when will we get the password? I assume there“ll be one.
Also, when will we get the password? I assume there“ll be one.
AndY
24 Dec 2010
Quick update: We've had to tweak every map slightly to make it function well. That part's pretty much done, but since it's Christmas eve already, voting won't begin till early next week (aiming for Monday).
I'll make another post when we're good to go.
Happy holidays!
I'll make another post when we're good to go.
Happy holidays!
Reaper
25 Dec 2010
I'm going to be gone next monday. I'm visiting New York, so what's going to happen then? If this were happening the week after next week I'd be able to do this, but nope. Any suggestions.
braddollar
25 Dec 2010
Reaper, on 25 December 2010 - 06:39 PM, said:
I'm going to be gone next monday. I'm visiting New York, so what's going to happen then? If this were happening the week after next week I'd be able to do this, but nope. Any suggestions.
Wasn't your map allowed into the contest? Below is a quote of one of the rules listed above in AndY's first post.
AndY, on 19 December 2010 - 12:50 PM, said:
Note: Those who have submitted maps for the contest may not participate in the voting process.
The Joker
25 Dec 2010
braddollar
25 Dec 2010
That's unfortunate. I guess I'd just assumed that the one that got disqualified was for a good reason.
The Joker
25 Dec 2010
WAXT
25 Dec 2010
Quenquent
26 Dec 2010
I don't think I will be here Monday, but we can test the maps during how many time?
And where we can post our commentaries?
And where we can post our commentaries?
AndY
26 Dec 2010
The Joker, on 25 December 2010 - 07:30 PM, said:
His map was disqualified. Me, WAXT, and Jgood had a problem with him submitting it.
The map isn't disqualified, and you don't need to be around for the voting Reaper. Whenever the results are in, you'll get a message.


