move OW to ep2's engine
warbrand2
04 Dec 2010
I think that the hl2 engine real limits the mob as you can't do a lot of the things you can do if you where using hl2 ep2. with out coding a lot. so this is just a poll to see how many people want OW to move to ep2 and how many don't even though its ultimately up to the devs. (I know they are trying not to limit who can play the mod)
by this i mean adding things from ep2 like hunters and zombines as well as props.
by this i mean adding things from ep2 like hunters and zombines as well as props.
Kil
04 Dec 2010
Overwatch is on the Episode 2 engine. Owning any Source game allows you to play mods on both engines.
Kil
04 Dec 2010
braddollar
04 Dec 2010
If it were to require me to own Ep2 then no. I have no desire to own Ep2.
Auxor
05 Dec 2010
braddollar, on 04 December 2010 - 07:30 PM, said:
If it were to require me to own Ep2 then no. I have no desire to own Ep2.
I don't understand how, 3 years later, people don't have Episode 2. It's by the far the best out of the Half Life 2 games. And it's dirt cheap.
Forested levels would be awesome in Overwatch, hell, there could be a map similar to the end of Ep2 where the rebels have to fight off Striders and Hunters with Magnusson Devices.
Until then, we're stuck with boring coastal/town maps. So yes, using Episode 2 assets would be cool, despite it locking out people who haven't got the game.
What would be cool, is if you could have server side mods which have maps that use Episode 2 assets.
Quenquent
05 Dec 2010
Kilrageous, on 04 December 2010 - 07:14 PM, said:
Overwatch is on the Episode 2 engine. Owning any Source game allows you to play mods on both engines.
Sure ? So why we must download source sdk base 2007 ? Ep2 doesn't use the source 2009 engine ?
If yes : awsome ! Now we can talk about implenting ennemis like Hunter and Antlion acid (right name ? I'm french so I don't have the original name.) and why not car ?
If no : After, you do what you want to do, I'm not the devs...
AndY
05 Dec 2010
Last I checked, the 2009 SDK hadn't been released. Either way, I'm pretty sure we're talking about EP2 assets here and not the engine itself.
As much as I agree with Auxor, I don't think a poll on these forums is going to give us an accurate enough count of how many Overwatch players have EP2, so I'm still not convinced this would be the way to go.
As much as I agree with Auxor, I don't think a poll on these forums is going to give us an accurate enough count of how many Overwatch players have EP2, so I'm still not convinced this would be the way to go.
warbrand2
05 Dec 2010
who about ask the people on moddb.. ( it think there are ways to create polls for it.)
braddollar
05 Dec 2010
Auxor, on 05 December 2010 - 07:23 AM, said:
I don't understand how, 3 years later, people don't have Episode 2. It's by the far the best out of the Half Life 2 games. And it's dirt cheap.
I don't find any joy in single player games, I also don't have Ep1. If I were to own them they would just be like owning HL1 or HL2 has been for me, single player games I've never bothered to play. The only reason I have those games is because they were part of a package deal I picked up.
AndY
05 Dec 2010
braddollar, on 05 December 2010 - 04:27 PM, said:
I don't find any joy in single player games, I also don't have Ep1. If I were to own them they would just be like owning HL1 or HL2 has been for me, single player games I've never bothered to play. The only reason I have those games is because they were part of a package deal I picked up.
warbrand2
05 Dec 2010
You do realize that ep2 is needed for most of the good multiplayer mods out there right.
andy's a ninja
andy's a ninja
braddollar
05 Dec 2010
AndY, on 05 December 2010 - 06:14 PM, said:
You do know that not playing Half-Life and Half-Life 2 is both a capitol offence and a sin, right?
I think you mentioned it at least once before lol. There's just not much challenge to it, and there's never anybody to compete with. I mean you could do speed run competitions, but I don't really enjoy that sort of thing.
warbrand2, on 05 December 2010 - 06:14 PM, said:
You do realize that ep2 is needed for most of the good multiplayer mods out there right.
Which? I've yet to come across any multiplayer mod I've wanted to play and could not. I can play Source Forts, Zombie Panic, Overwatch, RnL, Firearms, Dystopia, Hidden, Empires, Eternal Silence, Fistful of Frags, and on and on the list goes. There have been a few single player mods people have raved on about that I was unable to check out, but being single player I was not really that distraught.
WAXT
05 Dec 2010
warbrand2 said:
You do realize that ep2 is needed for most of the good multiplayer mods out there right.
AndY said:
Last I checked, the 2009 SDK hadn't been released. Either way, I'm pretty sure we're talking about EP2 assets here and not the engine itself.
As much as I agree with Auxor, I don't think a poll on these forums is going to give us an accurate enough count of how many Overwatch players have EP2, so I'm still not convinced this would be the way to go.
As much as I agree with Auxor, I don't think a poll on these forums is going to give us an accurate enough count of how many Overwatch players have EP2, so I'm still not convinced this would be the way to go.
"Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone." -- Joni Mitchell
warbrand2
05 Dec 2010
good point but OW should eventually start using ep2 items. mainly to branch out on the game play (this is related to the vort idea)
WAXT
05 Dec 2010
warbrand2, on 05 December 2010 - 07:57 PM, said:
good point but OW should eventually start using ep2 items. mainly to branch out on the game play (this is related to the vort idea)


