←  Works in Progress

rM Community

»

[ow_skyjumpers] WIP

JackNuts's Photo JackNuts 23 Aug 2010

*Updated 08/24/10*

After playing Overwatch for a few days, I have started making the skeleton of my map.

Setting:

  • The map will be set high in the air, where the player(s) will be running from building to building to the end.

Map Play Book:

  • In the beginning player(s) will have to escape the first building.
  • Once the player(s) reach the second (middle) building they will have three paths leading to other buildings.
  • Before players reach the other buildings, the player(s) will have to destroy generators to unlock the door leading into that building.
  • Each of those buildings will have a terminal that the player(s) will have to hack so they may unlock a lock to the elevator in the middle building.
  • Once all of the three locks have been unlocked, the player(s) may enter the elevator and win.

*I have attach some pictures of the all the buildings (work in progress)*

*You will find more pictures down in another post*

Attached Files

Quote

WAXT's Photo WAXT 24 Aug 2010

If i may offer some constructive critism: -change the name. I've read that it is always better to name your maps during or after development just in case things change. It also helps to find a name that is really fitting for the map (whether it be a characteristic or an idea that it generates). That and i think the current name is ridiculous; constructive critism remember...
Quote

Auxor's Photo Auxor 24 Aug 2010

I like the idea, also for names, maybe call it Skyward? Or Aero, or something like that.
Quote

JackNuts's Photo JackNuts 24 Aug 2010

I Have Updated my post above and here are some more pictures, and the title for my map is not final just pick a name right off my head.

Attached Files

Quote

Jgoodroad's Photo Jgoodroad 24 Aug 2010

don't like the idea of that maze there...
Quote

JackNuts's Photo JackNuts 25 Aug 2010

*Update 08/25/10*

I have updated my map and added basic textures to just get a feel of the map, and I have also change the building that had a maze. I also decided that the theme of the map is gonna be a combine prison.

*I have added a few pictures below*

Attached Files

Quote

23-down's Photo 23-down 26 Aug 2010

I don't know the map seems very small same like ow_citadel while it will be fantastic to get new maps as soon as possible I dislike the maze idea.
Where will there be the strategic aspect in that map If it's like a maze? Same goes for the nearly symmetrical map screens you've showed here.

Still keep working on it I'm looking forward to see a full textured version.
Quote

JackNuts's Photo JackNuts 26 Aug 2010

View Post23-down, on 26 August 2010 - 07:09 AM, said:

I don't know the map seems very small same like ow_citadel while it will be fantastic to get new maps as soon as possible I dislike the maze idea.
Where will there be the strategic aspect in that map If it's like a maze? Same goes for the nearly symmetrical map screens you've showed here.

Still keep working on it I'm looking forward to see a full textured version.

I have took out the maze :cool:
Quote

Jgoodroad's Photo Jgoodroad 26 Aug 2010

no offense but I think you should use as much dev textures as you can, and add base textures once you have the geometry up to 70%... the repeating metal texture makes it hard to look at IMO, thus I find it hard to see potential.

but is this still going to be outside?
Quote

JackNuts's Photo JackNuts 28 Aug 2010

*Update 8/28/10*

I have started working on two buildings and have 75% done for both buildings.

*I have posted to new pictures showing both buildings*

Attached Files

Quote

Auxor's Photo Auxor 28 Aug 2010

Just to let you know that those wall tiles are from the HL2 beta and so shouldn't be used, the odd blue ceramic ones I mean. The Combine Citadel and Nova Prospekt use a different texture than that for their walls, but i'm only recommending you not to use it, you can do what you want.
Quote

Jgoodroad's Photo Jgoodroad 28 Aug 2010

looks considerably better, but I would say you should replace ramps with stairs... or cut the ramp in half, make half stairs and the other half ramp. and the ramp in the first pic looks too steep.
Quote

JackNuts's Photo JackNuts 29 Aug 2010

*Update 08/29/10*

I have uploaded a video preview of my map and have decided to name my map "ow_NewgatePrison". I haven't worked on the middle (big) building yet.

Quote

Shryko's Photo Shryko 01 Sep 2010

looks good, I can't wait till it's ready for show time!
Quote

i89's Photo i89 18 Oct 2010

The layout of the map seems pretty good to start. Hope to see some real lighting later on in development. :D
Quote