[owc_quarry] Quarry
Jgoodroad
21 Nov 2010
I need to know how to turn combine gates on and off, I need to know how to do a "destroy the generator" and "Hack the console" Objectives, and I need to know how to make a random objective spawner. (where it randomly selects a series of objectives, and other outputs...like a combine gate being on/off, for multiple paths)
braddollar
21 Nov 2010
Jgoodroad, on 21 November 2010 - 06:54 PM, said:
I need to know how to turn combine gates on and off
Change the alpha on the brush with an input, or kill the brush. Change the skin on the model fence. This is assuming you're using the same kind of "gates" you see on citadel or breach.
Jgoodroad, on 21 November 2010 - 06:54 PM, said:
I need to know how to do a "destroy the generator"
func_button set to activate on damage. combined with some math_counter and some logic_relay. then some env_explosion triggered by them.
Jgoodroad, on 21 November 2010 - 06:54 PM, said:
I need to know how to do a ... "Hack the console"
basically a trigger_multiple set to add to a math_counter every x seconds until it hits what you want.
Jgoodroad, on 21 November 2010 - 06:54 PM, said:
I need to know how to make a random objective spawner. (where it randomly selects a series of objectives, and other outputs...like a combine gate being on/off, for multiple paths)
logic_case combined with logic_auto, or logic_auto_ow.
SamC
21 Nov 2010
Just wanted to say that spreading fire sequence is sweet! And I can throw the sequences I created into a vmf if you want, although there might be some inefficiencies or better ways to do it. But Brad's descriptions will get you going in the right direction.
braddollar
21 Nov 2010
Auxor
22 Nov 2010
Combine gates are simply a playerclip volume next to a func_illusionary or whatever its called.
And i'm baffled by the objectives as well, the entity system is difficult to understand as a whole.
And i'm baffled by the objectives as well, the entity system is difficult to understand as a whole.
braddollar
22 Nov 2010
Auxor, on 22 November 2010 - 02:28 AM, said:
Combine gates are simply a playerclip volume next to a func_illusionary or whatever its called.
And i'm baffled by the objectives as well, the entity system is difficult to understand as a whole.
And i'm baffled by the objectives as well, the entity system is difficult to understand as a whole.
These should help you get started. You can find a a lot more information about these things by simply using google.
http://www.interlope...Life_2/Entities
http://developer.val...uts_and_Outputs
Not specifically for Overwatch, but the vast majority of the entities are the same or similar
http://ratzps.com/ho...id=38&Itemid=62
WAXT
22 Nov 2010
Jgoodroad
22 Nov 2010
braddollar, on 22 November 2010 - 04:32 AM, said:
These should help you get started. You can find a a lot more information about these things by simply using google.
http://www.interlope...Life_2/Entities
http://developer.val...uts_and_Outputs
Not specifically for Overwatch, but the vast majority of the entities are the same or similar
http://ratzps.com/ho...id=38&Itemid=62
http://www.interlope...Life_2/Entities
http://developer.val...uts_and_Outputs
Not specifically for Overwatch, but the vast majority of the entities are the same or similar
http://ratzps.com/ho...id=38&Itemid=62
I think your forgetting that the objectives in OW are different, They have indicators and area displays.
I feel it goes beyond the standard entity work, the one thing I would NOT want to do is fashion my own half-arsed objective only to realize I did not do it correctly.
If your links to tutorials I have already read had been usefull I think I wouldn't have this problem.
braddollar
22 Nov 2010
Jgoodroad, on 22 November 2010 - 10:31 PM, said:
I think your forgetting that the objectives in OW are different, They have indicators and area displays.
I feel it goes beyond the standard entity work, the one thing I would NOT want to do is fashion my own half-arsed objective only to realize I did not do it correctly.
If your links to tutorials I have already read had been usefull I think I wouldn't have this problem.
I feel it goes beyond the standard entity work, the one thing I would NOT want to do is fashion my own half-arsed objective only to realize I did not do it correctly.
If your links to tutorials I have already read had been usefull I think I wouldn't have this problem.
Well I did forget that Zombie Panic is not Overwatch.. wait, no I didn't. Read the tutorial next time, use your brain, and try to apply the information, rather than just dismissing it out of hand because it's not exactly for Overwatch. It provides useful information for setting up objectives. Some of the entities used in Zombie Panic are different than in Overwatch, some of them are the same. Most of what is used in Zombie Panic can also be found in Overwatch, but perhaps with a slightly different name. If you had read the tutorial you would have found that it references info_beacon which is very similar to the env_hint_ow or env_indicator_ow. It also explains how to setup a sort of area display like what you see in Overwatch. The bottom line is that it is similar enough that you can learn a lot from reading the tutorial. Read it, use your brain, and apply the lessons from that tutorial to making your own unique objectives for Overwatch.
tldr: the links are useful, and if you read them and used your brain you wouldn't have a problem.
Jgoodroad
22 Nov 2010
I don't feel right trying to convert how to make objectives for one game with another... even if the differences are as slight as a name-change, I would find a way to fuck it up.
braddollar
23 Nov 2010
I got bored and made an example map for you. http://dl.dropbox.co..._objectives.bsp
Download it, check it out, decompile it to see how to make the objectives contained within.
Download it, check it out, decompile it to see how to make the objectives contained within.
AndY
24 Nov 2010
braddollar, on 23 November 2010 - 10:51 PM, said:
I got bored and made an example map for you. http://dl.dropbox.co..._objectives.bsp
Download it, check it out, decompile it to see how to make the objectives contained within.
Download it, check it out, decompile it to see how to make the objectives contained within.
The Joker
24 Nov 2010
Jgoodroad
28 Nov 2010
I am almost done with the technical bit of my mapping, soon...very soon if I don't fuck things up... I will get a playtest going.
which reminds me... when will the OW map upload section be ready?
which reminds me... when will the OW map upload section be ready?
Jgoodroad
28 Nov 2010
Well, my last compile went especially well, many of my spawn problems have been fixed or are almost fixed... so I decided to make a quick video showing another trap I made, it looks pretty sweet from the rebels perspective, but it needs tweaking (as I am sure you can guess)
Jgoodroad
28 Nov 2010
Just finished placing my troop spawns, and I got my gates and rappeling combine to work.
now all I need to do is
- add metrocop spawns
- add secondary armory
- add objectives (static set for now, alternating set after the contest is over, I will try to fit them in if I can, but they will not be in the playtests next weekend.)
- I think my manhack spawn needs some tweaking, I might add a second one
- change all my spawn icons to diamonds... I failed.
AND REMEMBER, although I may seem like an arse sometimes, I am open to suggestions and comments as long as they are constructive... I would not have gotten this far without the input of the community. and thanks to WAXT for reminding me about the prefab tool, and although it sometimes doesn't work for me it has helped greatly.
now all I need to do is
- add metrocop spawns
- add secondary armory
- add objectives (static set for now, alternating set after the contest is over, I will try to fit them in if I can, but they will not be in the playtests next weekend.)
- I think my manhack spawn needs some tweaking, I might add a second one
- change all my spawn icons to diamonds... I failed.
AND REMEMBER, although I may seem like an arse sometimes, I am open to suggestions and comments as long as they are constructive... I would not have gotten this far without the input of the community. and thanks to WAXT for reminding me about the prefab tool, and although it sometimes doesn't work for me it has helped greatly.
WAXT
28 Nov 2010
No worries. What can i say, i'm here to help.
Good luck with the playtests. Can has invite?
Good luck with the playtests. Can has invite?


